[Korea-chapter] meeting minutes, CAD Translation : Macro - Parametric Approach

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Nov 17 15:03:36 PST 2009

thanks for persevering to have a teleconference call today Pranveer.
i'm glad that we finally found a time that was workable.

your slideset is on the Web3D Member Documents Directory.
	http://www.web3d.org
	Member Login
	Post or Download Documents in Members Working Group Folders
	folders CAD > Macro

the .avi demo video did not work, probably a codec problem, can you
make a different version?  .mov quicktime or .mpeg is preferred since
other operating systems can then view it.

it was good to look again at your examples, which are online at
http://www.macro-parametrics.org/Introduction_12.html

am hoping that you can get permissions to
- put one or all examples under an open-source license, for example
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#license
- put the following versions online:  original cad format, the macro
	parametric XML, and the converted X3D
- i hope to publish those examples as part of the X3D Basic Archives
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic
- if we can get the examples accomplished this week, we could add them
	to the X3D Showcase DVD for SIGGRAPH ASIA next week
- i am interested in learning exactly how you used MeshLab and TETGEN
	(both open source) to accomplish the conversions
	http://www.meshlab.org

	TetGen: A Quality Tetrahedral Mesh Generator
	http://tetgen.berlios.de

- it would also be good to post your XML schema, particularly since that
	might be something that eventually goes into the X3D Specification

You might want to present this work at the Web3D Korea Chapter meeting
Monday-Tuesday 8-9 December in Seoul at the Korea Palace Hotel.  I think
that your colleagues in the Korea Chapter would be very interested in
this work.  Meeting host is Dr. Myeong Won Lee.

I plan to be at KAIST all day Wednesday 9 December.  However I will need
a ride from Seoul.  Perhaps if you and a classmate are at the chapter
meeting Tuesday, we might ride down together on Wednesday.  Alternatively
I could take the bus or train.  What do you think?

Tomorrow let us also talk about strategy for how this work might advance.
I think that providing a general solution for converting different CAD
formats into X3D is very important.  We should document this very well.
We should try to put the support into different X3D tools.  I think it
is possible that this might even become part of the X3D Specification.
Alternatively it might become something like an X3D Recommended Practice.
Certainly it will be very important for building realistic and large-scale
X3D worlds.  There are probably also some excellent business opportunities
for some of our Web3D member companies also.

Let us meet at the same time tomorrow using the Web3D conference line
in case anyone else wants to join.
Call: +1-877.929.9843 or +1-210-301-4738, ID: 831186#
Wednesday 1400 pacific, Thursday 0700 Korea time.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br           brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  work +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots, XMSF  http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman