[Korea-chapter] [X3D] Korea Chapter Meeting, April 21, 5:10pm (April 22, 9:10am, Korea)

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Apr 21 18:59:44 PDT 2010

Our attendees today are Myeong Won Lee, Kwan Hee Yoo, Gun Lee,
Anita Havele, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman.  Minutes follow.

We will try to cover only or 2 topics in detail in future calls,
and have enough teleconferences that we can accomplish
everything.

On 4/18/2010 8:31 AM, Myeong Won Lee wrote:
> The agenda items are as follows:
>
> 1. Draft of Agenda Items for Web3D Standardization Meeting at SIGGRAPH
> 2010 (WG members-only participation)

At SIGGRAPH it is preferable to make these meetings open so that newcomers
can learn about what activity is going on, and then decide whether they are
interested enough to join.

One good way to accomplish this is to do a 30-minute overview first, and then
follow up with detailed discussion on each topic.

A modified version of the schedule now appears on the Web3D Member wiki:

http://web3d.org/membership/login/memberwiki/
	Chapters
	Korean Chapter
	Web3D Standardization Meeting at SIGGRAPH 2010

direct link:
http://www.web3d.org/membership/login/memberwiki/index.php/Web3D_Standardization_Meeting_at_SIGGRAPH_2010

Meeting title: Web3D Consortium and Korea Chapter Standardization Meeting at
SIGGRAPH 2010

    * Thursday 29 April 2010, 15:00-18:00 in the Birds of a Feather (BoF) Room

    * Web3D Consortium members will meet with Web3D Korea Chapter leaders to
review multiple new improvements to the X3D Specification.

    * This meeting is open so that newcomers can learn about what activity is
going on, and then decide whether they are interested enough to join.

3-3:30 pm: Introductions, summary overview of all topics

3:30-5 pm: Detailed discussions on all agenda topics

5-6 pm: Additional detailed discussions as desired

Topics of interest:

    * X3D specification discussions
          o Physical units (Myeong Won Lee, The University of Suwon)
          o Projective texture mapping (Kwan Hee Yoo, Chungbuk National University)
          o X3D Mixed Reality functions (Gun Lee, ETRI)

    * H-Anim working group discussion (H-Anim data format)
          o H-Anim motion data definition (Myeong Won Lee, The University of Suwon)

    * X3D mobile discussion
          o Report on 3D Mobile Workshop held in Busan Korea 30 June
          o X3D mobile function (Myeong Won Lee, The University of Suwon)
          o Standardization items

    * E-Learning working group (Standardization topics, working group charter,
Liaison cooperation)
          o Working group charter discussion (Kwan Hee Yoo, Chungbuk National
University)
          o Liaison discussion
          o Standardization items

    * Other topics of group interest, meeting schedules

> 3. Progress of new proposals
>
> 1) Units proposal (Myeong Won Lee)

The X3D working group has been discussing the Units proposal on their
teleconference.

First, the ability to change the units of time is considered to be quite difficult
because timing code typically appears in many places in a browser's
software.  So this would be very difficult to make this change effectively.

If there is no compelling use case for changing time units, this would be
good to leave out of the Units component.  *We agreed on the call that
there was not enough demand to justify this capability.*

Second, regarding units for length, specification prose and test scenes
are needed for each of the following use cases:

- Adequate dynamic range and precision for Transform nodes in a scene
- Proper use of different length units in a parent scene and an Inline scene
	(without any shared event routing)
- Proper conversion of ROUTEd values between a parent scene and an
	Inline scene via IMPORT/EXPORT
- Defining units for a Prototype
- Defining units for a External Prototype
- Proper scaling of prototype instance content when different length units
 	are used in the parent scene

These cases are a bit harder than the simple scenes we have looked
at so far.

> Unit X3D example files updated with unit statements are attached:
> NoUnitBacteria.x3d, NoUnitClamidomonas.x3d, UnitBacteria.x3d and
> UnitClamidomonas.x3d.

i revised the dates:
I moved the unit statement to be the first of the <head> children
   <unit category='length' conversion_factor='0.001' name='milli'/>
I have canonicalized and checked in these latest changes to Sourceforge.

I am hoping that you can get a Sourceforge account and learn
how we use subversion and X3D Canonicalization (C14N) to format
and diff and checkin scene changes.  This way, you can verify that
changes between one version of a file and the next are still OK.

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Examples

Subversion master source
   http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=51343
is retrievable via subversion check out:
   svn co
https://x3d.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/x3d/www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic
Basic

Source is viewable at

http://x3d.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/x3d/www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic

Model source changes reported via the x3d-commits mailing list.

Links to tutorials and clients are available at
https://savage.nps.edu/developers.html#Subversion

If you wish to use X3D-Edit (as application or in Netbeans) it also provides
X3D Canonicalization formatting along with built-in Subversion support.
	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit

If you can't find someone to help with this, we can set up a special call to do it.
Perhaps Byounghyun Yoo can help?

> 2) Projective texture mapping (Kwan-Hee Yoo)
> 3) Mixed reality visualization (Gun Lee)
> 4) CAD translation to X3D (Pranveer Singh Rathore and Soonhung Han)
> 5) H-Anim motion data definition (Myeong Won Lee)
> 6) Mobile X3D functions (Myeong Won Lee)
> 7) Geometric medical data (Kwan Hee Yoo)

We agreed to consider these on other calls.

> 8) X3D Digital Textbook (Kwan Hee Yoo)

We reviewed the draft charter proposal which looks like a good start.
This needs to be added to the Web3D website as HTML or on the wiki.
Can you do that please?

We also looked at the following websites:

	International Digital Publishing Forum
	EPUB open standards: Open Publication Structure (OPS), Open Packaging Format (OPF)
		and Open Container Format (OCF)
	http://idpf.org

	DAISY Consortium
	Digital accessible reading and publishing for all
	http://www.daisy.org

Kwan Hee Yoo thinks that collaboration might be possible with these groups.

As reported earlier in the 29 March meeting minutes, Yong-Sang Cho KERIS
will be going to the IMS meeting in May.

This would be a good subject for our next meeting.  Hopefully Yong-Sang Cho
can join us.

Len, the links to the email archives are still not provided at
http://web3d.org/membership/login/

> 4. Next Korean chapter meeting

May 5, Wednesday , at 5:10pm PDT (May 6, Thursday, at 9:10pm Korea time)

Topic:  E-learning issues, charter, detailed planning.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br           brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  work +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots, XMSF  http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman