[Korea-chapter] [X3D] Korea Chapter Meeting, March 6th: H-Anim, SIGGRAPH

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Mar 7 18:30:38 PST 2012

Attendees:  Myeong Won Lee (organizer), Gun Lee, Anita Havele, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman.

On 3/6/2012 9:26 PM, "Myeong Won Lee" wrote:
> The Korea Chapter meeting will be held with agenda items as follows:
>
> 1. Draft of H-Anim WG charter
>
> http://www.web3d.org/membership/login/memberwiki/index.php/Korea_Chapter_Members-Only_Wiki#H-Anim_WG_.28in_preparation.29

This looks excellent Myeong Won Lee.

Anita and I are asking Keith Victor and Joe Williams (the cochairs from about
~2 years ago) what they think about this renewed effort.  Their feedback will
be welcome.

We have moved this to the Web3D public wiki for H-Anim, linked at the top:

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/H-Anim
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/H-Anim_Working_Group_Draft_Charter

Probably want to reduce redundancy in these pages that could be merged.

We discussed who might be potential working group cochairs.  We will ask
Keith and Joe if they want to rejoin in the group efforts.  It will be
important to get 2 or 3 people who are willing to share this responsibility.

Myeong Won Lee and Kwan Hee Yoo are willing to serve as cochairs.  Thanks
for volunteering!  You are both very capable.  We need to establish commitments
from a few more people to participate, and get consensus whether another cochair
can be helpful, and then we can finalize the charter for Web3D Board approval.

We need a few more people to participate, I think.  Please speak up if you
are willing to help in this important effort.

> 2. Web3D Standards Meeting at SIGGRAPH 2012
>
> Instead of using the title "Korea Chapter Meeting” at SIGGRAPH, please provide feedback on the following:
> “Web3D Standards Meeting, Organized by the Web3D Korea Chapter and the Web3D Consortium".
> Please schedule the time slot for the meeting anytime from Monday through Wednesday.
> New work items for Web3D standards will be discussed.

Anita will be setting up this meeting on Tuesday 7 August in afternoon 2-5,
with a small reception at 5 and the group going to dinner together afterwards.
This plan is tentative, but certainly sounds appealing!

Web3D Conference is Saturday-Sunday 4-5 August, http://web3d2012.org

SIGGRAPH is in Los Angeles 5-9 August, http://s2012.siggraph.org

> 3. Review of the minutes for the previous AR WG meeting (Gun Lee)

The meeting and minutes were published 22 February by Gun Lee.
They are brief and quite interesting, so they are copied here:
Feb 22 (Wed) 10:30-11:00(CEDT) / 18:30-19:00(KST)
Attendee: Gun Lee, Yvonne Jung, Gerard J. Kim, Myeongwon Lee

1. Comparison document progress check up
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/Comparison_of_X3D_AR_Proposals
=> The document is now completely filled up.
=> We will give a final round of reviewing/revision, and will release it by the next meeting.

=> As it is described in the document, we had a good discussion on trade-off and balance between extensibility and abstraction.
=> We shared the view of the final X3D AR components (especially tracking components) should be:
     a) Extensible: Should be able to support different (or even new) type of tracking solutions
     b) Abstracted: Device setup should be separated out from X3D content description,
                           so that the end users of the content (X3D files) should not worry about device setup
=> In order to pave the way to developing a unified proposal,
      members are asked to pitch their idea on how to merge the proposals, considering extensibility and abstraction.
=> Gun will prepare a new wiki page for this purpose,
       and each member is invented to describe his/her idea on this new wiki page.
     After reviewing each others idea on the wiki, we will have discussion at the next meeting.

2. Next meeting schedule
	Central European Time: Mar 21 (Wed) 10:30 - 11:30
	Korean Standard Time: Mar 21 (Wed)  18:30 - 19:30
	Pacific Time: Mar 21 (Wed) 01:30 - 02:30

Request:  is it possible to move this meeting 2 1/2 hours sooner?
This would make it possible for California people to attend 23-2400.
If this is too difficult, please continue as planned.

It might be helpful to produce a table that, for each of the eight
comparison areas, lists the nodes by name for each proposal
and then add another column indicating whether a close match or else
a large mismatch is present.

Of note is that each of the proposers thought that all of the
goal requirements could be met, in one way or another.  There
did not appear to be any requirements that could not be met.

Draft requirements and use cases are currently in .pdf form at
http://web3d.org/x3d/wiki/images/6/62/ARWG-Requirements_and_Usecases.pdf

> 4. New work items proposals
>
> [Web3D 2006-1] Units specification (Myeong Won Lee)
> [Web3D 2008-1] Projective texture mapping (Kwan-Hee Yoo)
> [Web3D 2009-1] Mixed reality visualization (Gun Lee)
> [Web3D 2009-2] Macro Parametric Approach for CAD Translation to X3D (Hyokwang Lee and Soonhung Han)
>
> Hyo will make progress this proposal for its standardization.

Sounds great - we will discuss this and other CAD topics on next week's call.

> [Web3D 2009-3] H-Anim motion data definition (Myeong Won Lee)
> [Web3D 2009-4] Mobile X3D functions (Myeong Won Lee)
> [Web3D 2009-5] Geometric medical data (Kwan Hee Yoo)
> [Web3D 2009-6] X3D Digital Textbook (Kwan Hee Yoo)
> [Web3D 2010-1] X3D GPS interface (Myeong Won Lee)
> [Web3D 2010-2] A management system of security devices in 3D virtual space (Kwan-Hee Yoo)
> [Web3D 2010-3] A CCTV node for the CCTV control of virtual environment management systems
> [Web3D 2010-4] CAD to X3D conversion (Hyokwang Lee)
>
> No updates for other topics.
>
> 4. Scheduling March meetings
>
> March teleconferences will be held as follows:
>
> (1st Wed) March 7th at 5:00pm PST (8th, Thursday, 10:00am KST): Korea Chapter
> (2nd Wed) March 14th at 5:00pm PDT (15th, Thursday, 9:00am KST): CAD WG
> (3rd Wed) March 21th at 10:30am CET, 6:30pm KST, 2:30am PDT: AR WG
> (4th Wed) March 28th at 5:00pm PDT (29th, Thursday, 9:00am KST): e-Learning SIG

Everyone is cautioned that the U.S. goes to daylight savings time next week,
which is typically 2 weeks earlier than other countries.  So please be flexible.
We agreed to keep the above schedule, note difference between PST and PDT.
(Very impressive work by Myeong Won LEE, world expert in X3D Units Specification!)

Open challenge:  who will author and publish an X3D globe that accurately
reflects all current time zones and daylight/nightime terminator?  8)

The schedule looks great.  Thanks for another productive meeting everyone!