[Korea-chapter] [h-anim] Use Cases for consideration

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 20 12:07:23 PDT 2013

>  "medical realism"

I think medical realism means that the humanoid is the model for some
specific human or typical human and has all the realistic human items
accessible by realistic traverse or section navigation and exhibits
realistic interactions with other humanoids or non-human objects.

This is why the next thing we need is a realistic skin drawn directly
in skeleton space. To compose the basis for this skin it is important
to standardize the name and typical location of every important
external reference location. Then, the skin can be drawn and bound
using these points. Within a wide range of human dimensions, the
internal skeleton reference locations and dimensions along with these
external skin reference locations can be adjusted to accomodate any
size human. Then comparable realistic X3D H-Anim characters can
exchange skeleton and continious mesh deformable skin animations.

So, how dense, meanig number of vertices,  are necessary to provide a
minimum best practice skin? The answer is the same for high fidelity
"medical" or any other realtime dynamic humanoid animation. How much
money ya got? How fast d'ya wanna Go? At the top end of medical or
entertainment the answer is: To be as realitic as possible and show
everything; every interaction with the environment that is pertinent.
If it is noticably non-realistic by the author or another human, or
for that matter another humanoid, it is pertinent.

Obviously, for X3D to 'get skin in the game' for our X3D example sets,
I  would say the minimum "medical" skin density is (1) important
'standard' human dimension measurement points, (2) every end effector
and haptic location, and (3) locations where intensive monitoring
manual or automated medical instrumentation is used. Please note that
we have some parts of this now, with the list of Annex B in
ISO_IEC_FCD_19774, and previous editions.

For detailed animation of specific areas such as hands and face, more
point density i necessary. Many of these points are described in past
versions of the H-Anim standard. See Appendix B: Suggested Displacer
Nodes in H-Anim1.1 at http://www.h-anim.org/

If we can approach this task of using medical and entertainment
(actually useless to try to distinguish these) use cases to produce a
set of 'standard' skins it will give a comprehensive overview of
current best practices and thus give a great standards-track starting
point for people wishing to create a realistic model of themselves or
others using standards-track tools and transportable animations.
This is just a relatively simple next step. And let's not forget one
important use case for X3D H-Anim: Remote control human surgery. This
is when the local actuator performs the detailed surgery using AI and
assistance from a remote instrumented human (or higher level AI maybe)
... this is not so far in the future.
To get there we need to have a best practices virtual humanoid that is
complete enough for a real surgeon or an AI surgeon to practice on.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Joe
(AI=Acquired Intellegence)
(attachment)