[semantics-public] Fluid Movement Semantic Metalanguage

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 22:24:27 PDT 2019

No natural metalanguage (in the NSM sense) will have a movement
realization. The words and simple syntax rules in NSM are abstractions
of universals, not words or concrete syntax per se. The primes in
Natural Semantic Metalanguage are an example of this: although the
researchers tend to write their reductive paraphrases in an
English-style rendering of NSM, and although movement is thus implied
through reading aloud or subvocalization, that movement is only a side
effect of reading an explication in a particular natural language.
Those primes -- posited to be universal, in all languages -- are being
represented by symbols but they aren't the symbols themselves, or the
speech acts either. They are things in the human mind.

If you want to call them Movement Primes or Geometric Primes, fine.
But don't call them "natural" unless by that you mean "physically
limited to gestures that sign language users can theoretically perform
and distinguish" -- which doesn't narrow it down much. Nor are they
necessarily "semantic." In the 400 or so sign languages in the world,
it's a near statistical certainty that there will be words and parts
thereof that are signed identically in any given pair of the
languages, but that have entirely different meanings. Sign language
motions will relate to sign languages much as phonemes and syllables
relate to spoken languages. If you can find a fairly small repertoire
of those motions, covering all sign languages, great. But consider how
"comprehensive repertoire" agendas have worked out in spoken language
linguistics. The International Phonetic Alphabet project was started
in 1888, and kept adding symbols as new lexico-semantic distinctions
kept being found among speech sounds, with the most recent addition
being in 2005.

Regards,
Michael Turner
Executive Director
Project Persephone
1-25-33 Takadanobaba
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 169-0075
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner at projectpersephone.org

Understand - http://www.projectpersephone.org/
Join - http://www.facebook.com/groups/ProjectPersephone/
Donate - http://www.patreon.com/ProjectPersephone
Volunteer - https://github.com/ProjectPersephone

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry