[semantics-public] cross-ontology mapping

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Jan 29 20:24:13 PST 2020

Hi John.  It looks like you are building a taxonomy, i.e. a structured vocabulary.  This is an important starting point for any new ontology.

An important characteristic of the ontologies is that Semantic Web triples make it possible to cross-reference and correlate them.  This leads to crafting queries which can look at diverse models and information sources at one time.  It is a sophisticated and powerful set of capabilities that deserves study to understand.

Please see

* X3D Ontology for Semantic Web: References,Books
   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/semantics/semantics.html#References

... specifically the following suggested references for learning more:

* Dean Allemang and Jim Hendler, Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist: Effective Modeling in RDFS and OWL,
   second edition, Morgan Kaufmann (MK) Publishers Elsevier, Waltham Massachusetts, 2012.
   http://workingontologist.org

* Leslie F. Sikos, Mastering Structured Data on the Semantic Web: from HTML5 Microdata to Linked Open Data,
   Apress Springer Science+Business Media, New York, 2015.
   https://www.apress.com/gp/book/9781484210505

If anyone has further references/resources to suggest, they are welcome and I'll be happy to link.