[Source] [Fwd: interpolators not working from inside prototype under Xj3D]

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.navy.mil
Tue Apr 7 13:07:35 PDT 2009

cc: source at web3d.org in hopes of eventual restoration

> Likely reason a node doesn't work under a proto when it works outside is
> the copy constructor.  Take a look at BasePositionInterpolator line 158
>
>      protected BasePositionInterpolator(VRMLNodeType node) {
>
> This is where the node is created from another node.  Likely the key or
> keyValue fields have not been intialized correctly.  Though a spot
> inspection shows they are in this class and in BaseInterpolatorNode.
>
> Next I'd check rebuildInterpolator to see if it added the right keys to
> the interpolator.  If it got that far then my guess is not correct as to
> the problem.

my much-longer version WaypointInterpolator does a node.field access
and the trace statement from the script shows that the key/keyValue
arrays do get properly set.  thus i don't think that is the problem.

https://savage.nps.edu/svn/nps/Savage/Tools/Animation/WaypointInterpolatorPrototype.x3d
https://savage.nps.edu/svn/nps/Savage/Tools/Animation/WaypointInterpolatorExample.x3d

and so, as the previously posted test-scene example shows, the desired
functionality works in a straight PositionInterpolator/OrientationInterpolator
pair but not when wrapped in a prototype.

apologies but i do not feel qualified to examine/debug the intricacies
of how your prototype implementations expose IS/connect links for
ProtoInstances.  am hoping you guys can check this, since this might
be a common failure mode for all prototypes working in Xj3D.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br       work +1.831.656.2149
              MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  fax  +1.831.656.7599
Virtual worlds/underwater robots/X3D/XMSF     http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman