[Source] troubleshooting Xj3D trunk build.xml, won't compile

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Dec 11 12:09:01 PST 2011

On 12/11/2011 11:41 AM, Alan Hudson wrote:
>>> so the problem might be in the settings of the netbeans project. netbeans editor is also showing that it can't find certain classes. hopefully Terry and I can get a chance to look at this today. i expect the fix will be to check in a properly configured nbproject directory into the trunk.
>> Terry, I've thought about this, definitely think that the nbproject
>> directory needs to be in trunk or else netbeans users will not be able
>> to properly open the Xj3D project.
>>
>> Similar setup for Eclipse projects presumably needed. Who does that?
> Fine with those in trunk. I'd put those files into the contrib directory. contrib/netbeans and contrib/eclipse.
>
> I'd consider having those projects call the ant tasks directly. Otherwise you'll have to maintain a separate set of copies of what the ant scripts do.

for most things that approach would work OK.  however for netbeans
project directories, several problems occur:
- netbeans will treat the contrib/ director as a candidate project
	on checkout
- user would only have access upon moving the directory, which means
	they would have to figure this out and take some action by
	leaving the IDE
- if we make changes to the nbproject directory files (which needs
	to happen, since mine doesn't fully work while Terry's does)
	then the changes are difficult to preserve and difficult to
	propagate to other netbeans users.  versionitis problems will
	probably be the result.

As noted earlier, presence of a nbproject directory in the root of the trunk
doesn't interfere with anything else.  So we should put it there,
avoiding the problems and encouraging further development of Xj3D.

Hope that sounds sensible, further dialog welcome.