[Source] Xj3D Development of nurbs component

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Jul 11 14:14:55 PDT 2012

(Terry, Vince, William, Don are on teleconference line today)

On 7/10/2012 2:29 PM, Alan Hudson wrote:
> [...]
> Please be careful around the jgeom library.  The only headers I've seen for the project have this license on it:
>
> /*
>   * jgeom: Geometry Library fo Java
>   *
>   * Copyright (C) 2005  Samuel Gerber
>   *
>   * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
>   * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
>   * as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
>   * of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

Differences between Xj3D LGPL and jGeom GPL are understood.
Thanks for the alert.

On 7/11/2012 12:18 AM, Christophe MOUTON wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I was in touch with the main developer of the jgeom library, I will ask him if LGPL could be OK for him.

Merci Christophe.  As a courtesy we've cc:ed Samuel Gerber, with thanks.

On 7/11/2012 1:35 PM, Don Brutzman wrote:> updated jgeom library by author:

> http://www.cs.utah.edu/~sgerber/software/index.htm

this also has a link to source:
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~sgerber/software/jgeom.tar.gz

however the .gz unzipped, but the .tar appears corrupted.

We talked through our plan about how to move forward on next steps.

Apparently there might have been source additions when Christophe
provided a copy from the original authors' work (under the same GPL
license) to Vince.  However no modifications are expected to be
needed for the reintegration of Vince's current work.

jgeom-core.jar is already checked into the Xj3D trunk.  Vince will
check on whether he can build against that.

There are about 18 files modified for Xj3D NURBS...  Terry will go ahead
and merge them into the NPS branch and see if it all just works using
the already-available jgeom-core.jar.  By next week Vince hopes to
have update that may (or may not0 be needed).

Christophe, thanks for investigating whether jgeom can be released
under LGPL.  Samuel may also want to know about the problem with
his .tar file.

When license issues are clarified satisfactorily, and after things
are all working on the NPS branch, we then plan to migrate the code
to the trunk.

We will meet again next week, same time, same teleconference line.
Step by step!