[Source] problem with jgeom build, java3d dependency

Justin Couch justin at vlc.com.au
Sun Dec 1 13:32:03 PST 2013

On 1/12/2013 3:25 am, Don Brutzman wrote:
> On 11/27/2013 5:45 AM, Vincent Marchetti wrote:
>> Don,
>>
>> I gather from this that you've solved one problem and thus found another -- which I may have solved, see below.
>>
>> The problem you found was that the more recently submitted source
>> file src/java/net/jgeom/j3d/examples/ArbitraryNURBSGeometry.java
>> depends at compile-time on the package javax.media.j3d ('Java3d')
>> which either wasn't on your system or wasn't in the search path of
>> your development environment. You solved the problem by installing
>> this package and/or setting your search paths to find it. You raised
>> the possibility of distributing this package with jgeom.
>
> Concise and correct summary, thanks Vince.
>
>> I'm not sure if distributing javax.media.j3d package with jgeom is a
>> good idea (even though we partially do this by including vecmath.jar
>> in our distribution). I may have to ponder this over some pumpkin
>> pie, or at least try to find out what the Best Practices are thought
>> to be for this. I thought the javax.* packages were supposed to be
>> standard extensions, preinstalled or maintained by the JRE; and I
>> wonder what other incompatibilities will be introduced if we start
>> substituting our own updates to Java3d.
>
>> On my own system (the venerable Mac OS X 10.6.8, running Java 1.6) I didn't have this problem -- I built everything from command line with 'ant', and it found the system-installed Java3d package without a problem.
>
> hmmm, venerable!  more good information:
>
>> On 11/27/2013 8:07 AM, Terry Norbraten wrote:
>> Vince,
>>>
>>> You’ll be interested to know that if/when you ever upgrade your Mac OS X to 10.8 (Mavericks), J3D is no longer distributed beginning with that O/S version.
>
> Based on this feedback, I think it is OK for us to add java3d to the lib support so that someone can build jgeom out of the box.  This can also ensure that jgeom can compile/run using the correct version.

Note that the code is GPL + Classpath, so if you're going to put it in
the repo, you need to include the source and everything. I really don't
like the use of pure GPL in a library project like this where we've
taken the approach that it is an externally provided API and thus
someone else's responsibility (there's several implementations of
vecmath). While I could have taken exactly the same approach with AV3d,
I didn't for many reasons and wrote my own replacement.

--
Justin Couch                                 http://www.vlc.com.au/
Java 3D Graphics Information                    http://www.j3d.org/