[Source] problem with jgeom build, java3d dependency

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Dec 1 20:22:58 PST 2013

On 12/1/2013 1:32 PM, Justin Couch wrote:
>> On 11/27/2013 5:45 AM, Vincent Marchetti wrote:
>>> [...]
>> Based on this feedback, I think it is OK for us to add java3d to the lib support so that someone can build jgeom out of the box.  This can also ensure that jgeom can compile/run using the correct version.
>
> Note that the code is GPL + Classpath, so if you're going to put it in
> the repo, you need to include the source and everything. I really don't
> like the use of pure GPL in a library project like this where we've
> taken the approach that it is an externally provided API and thus
> someone else's responsibility (there's several implementations of
> vecmath). While I could have taken exactly the same approach with AV3d,
> I didn't for many reasons and wrote my own replacement.

Good catch, thanks Justin.

The sourceforge jgeom site says:

"jgeom has been republished here under an LGPL license, with permission of the original author."

I updated the sourceforge setting for jgeom to indicate LGPLv2, which is what is included in the source.

The Java3D license can be found at
http://download.java.net/media/java3d/builds/release/1.4.0_01/LICENSE-Java3D-v1_4_0.txt

So I also added a project tag for Sun Public License, and updated the Description as follows:

"jgeom has been republished here under an LGPL license, with permission of the original author.
Bundled binary libraries are also include Java3D."

Hopefully that appears to provide fair enough declarations to avoid the counterproductive step of bundling java3d source, since that is not something we want to do.

If all this looks good, then we also ought to bundle the license files themselves in the src tree (for LGPLv2) and the lib tree (for Java3D).

Given the current progress and jgeom maturity, I further updated the jgeom Development Status from
	Development Status :: 1 - Planning
	Development Status :: 4 - Beta

Hopefully this all looks good.  Further improvements welcome.