[Source] Prep for NURBS call; continued Xj3D improvement

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Jan 27 18:25:22 PST 2013

cc: CAD and Xj3D source lists; ongoing progress with Xj3D support for
NURBS thanks to Vince Marchetti contributions.

On 1/27/2013 4:50 PM, Don Brutzman wrote:
> On 1/25/2013 4:11 AM, Vincent Marchetti wrote:
>> [...]
> Please send modified files for me to check in.

As discussed, OGLNurbsPatchSurface.java worked

> Presumably we need consistent file updates for v3.0 3.1 3.2 and 3.3

The configuration file also worked.  Please send the other configuration
files.

>> 2. The java code for the NURBS surfaces did not correctly handle the
>> case where the "weight" parameters for the surface were not defined
>> explicitly in the node. I have patched the code in
>> src/java/org/web3d/vrml/renderer/ogl/nodes/nurbs/OGLNurbsPatchSurface.java
>>
>> to implement the default behavior for weights as specifed in sec 27.2.3
>> [27.2.3 Common geometry fields and correctness
>> <http://www.web3d.org/files/specifications/19775-1/V3.2/Part01/components/nurbs.html#CommonGeometryFieldsAndCorrectness>]

cool

>> I propose putting the two files attachhed into the locations:
>> src/java/org/web3d/vrml/renderer/ogl/nodes/nurbs/OGLNurbsPatchSurface.java
>>
>> src/config/3.0/profiles.xml
>
> Please send and I will test then check in

Current changes checked into NPS branch to permit further testing.

>> Upon rebuilding, I was able to view these examples:

Tests satisfactory on my side too.  Screenshots attached.

>> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/NURBS/FredTheBunny.x3d

As you reported, Fred the Bunny renders but has black legs.

I think the other rendering looks rather flat also.  Perhaps some of the
order/directionality is reversed?

>> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/NURBS/FourDucks.x3d

looks pretty good.  we should improve viewpoint and lighting.  shading
again looks flat.

>> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/NURBS/HurricaneLantern.x3d

looks good!