[WWW-Vrml] [x3d-public] 360 Video

cbullard at hiwaay.net cbullard at hiwaay.net
Thu Apr 7 07:13:32 PDT 2016

It can be faked out but better to implement it as a node to make the
content developer’s life easy.

Not sure about what machines have what horsepower, but we had to be
very very parsimonious in the early days of VRML for hardware reasons.
I think those are going away.

For current work I am using simply VRML97. In this application it is
straightforward to green the background then chroma key in post when
mixing video and audio (say a YouTube rendering for mp4). For screen
capture video resources, it works ok and because of the Latin Effect,
the tools, the platform and the content are solid as a rock.  For the
new generation of HMDs, I don’t see enough discussion of it related to
X3D or VRML97 to know how that integrates,  They seem to be from here
determined to go the way of every piece of content being it's own
application.

A less worthy of the investment in the content sustainment
architecture I cannot imagine.

This much is true:  when Carey and Bell sat down to make Inventor into
an HTML for 3D, they succeeded wildly.   It is compact, powerful,
easily learned, view source friendly and has the cleanest IP of any
standard on the web.  And it still works almost three decades later as
does all of the content that adheres to it.  VR for The People.  They
hit that part out of the park.  Innovation churn does not cause VRML
to wobble.

For those of us in the indie music world, this is gold left out on the
village square without fences.

len