[X3D-Public] O3D - Google's 3D JavaScript API

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Wed Apr 22 16:59:47 PDT 2009

Ben

Thanks for the report.  It must have been tough to sit on that one.

The ball is in Google's court.  The ISO standard is there to implement or
not, but be ready for certification tests that determine conformance in
markets that require it as proof of submission for a proposal.

The technology is almost irrelevant.    The content representation and
business rules are the cost items because those are human costs.  Tool costs
and training are the drivers, so most X3D companies have these ready now or
are using Blender (Free but not for timid) or Maya (not Cheap But Not
Turkey)  or any of the various free and shareware editors.  Others are using
SketchUp.

The question is for all the noise, in what ways does the O3D scene graph
improve on the X3D scene graph and the VRML97 scene graph?

len

From: x3d-public-bounces at web3d.org [mailto:x3d-public-bounces at web3d.org] On
Behalf Of Ben Francis

Dear all,

I've been dying to talk about this since last summer when I joined the
trusted testers programme, but the public release has finally arrived.
Google has released
<http://o3d.blogspot.com/2009/04/toward-open-web-standard-for-3d.html>  an
Open Source JavaScript API for creating interactive 3D graphics in the
browser called O3D <http://code.google.com/apis/o3d/> . It is currently a
browser plugin for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome that works
on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux - but Google ultimately would like to see
native support in browsers.