[X3D-Public] my musings on O3D and JavaScript on the web

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Tue Apr 28 09:54:10 PDT 2009

I've missed you, M.  Where ya been?  Crazy musical *video* 3D guy if you
don't mind.  Jing SonyVegas Contact Vivaty make that easy to do.  For a
storyteller, it is an excellent way to use the libraries and then YouTube.
Happy days are here again!

Personal:  I'm having a real good time putting the IrishSpace video
together.  Our VRML gift to YouTube from a time not so long ago....

Correct.  Interpolators are questionable.  I don't think it is because they
are hard to understand.  It is that they are hard to plot by dead reckoning
looking at the screen.  Whatever the impact on the engine, doing fractional
changes in one's head is not a skill most people have.  Even if you tell
them it is just a sample of positions along a poly line unless they really
want to do the calculations, they won't.  It's tedious.  Best done by
sampling, I think, and therefore how much of that is exposed in the text vs
how that is rendered are all good things to question.

OTOH, the charm of interpolators and timers is the fractional variation
possible in the local time of the objects.  All objects have internal rhythm
and the interpolators are excellent for inscribing beat/pace into local
motions.

The scene graph is sound.  The objects in it need refactoring to account for
authoring.   Initially, Gavin Bell wanted the faster rendering of lower
level constructs.  We can now afford to trade a little initialization time
for easier drag and drop objects.

Routes?  I'm torn.  They are appealing to the patch board guy in me. They
fix eventIn/Out type compatibility enabling author constructable
relationships.  It is a creative approach given the author or system need
only know the types to hook them up.  Then results are what they are but it
is one of the more fascinating aspects of the system to explore.  It turns
out very many natural motions are simple logarithmic scales or amenable to
that time-based representation.

Routes?  Very good for the GUI (graph editing and validation).

Routes?  Unnatural in JavaScript.

Is that on the wrong side of the data though?  IOW, what should be in XML?
What shouldn't?  How much should show up in the GUI?

Given a standard dialog editor, what X3D objects would you expect to see
represented?  All of them?  Some for some and not for others?  IOW, I'm a
musician.  I EXPECT to see the audio object properties beyond the URL.  Is
that realistic?

VRML authors know there is a common toolkit a lot of us use.  How can that
become one toolkit everyone has?

Well... if Google hosts a building space for VRMLers that works with that,
they can make that happen the same way they make the blogs happen.  It
depends on what is in it for Google and only Google can answer that.

on the web and a standard set of symbols for denoting those in the 2D layer.

Interesting bifurcation.  Google dives toward the hardware API to enable
Javascript imperative control over the boards and standards etc, as the
author world asks for more composable objects. There is baby in that
bathwater.  Experimenting with a cleaner separation of where GUI behavior
and graphics engine calls to the hardware are represented in declarative and
imperative script enables more experimentation with the drag and drop
objects, the meat of composability.

Nay! Composable libraries, reusable, cheap to build but built to last by
being open IP-free technology.

Yes, the miracle of VRML is it is still standing.  As I said, the only test
that matters to me.

len