[X3D-Public] ROUTEs can send an event to a point in the 3D space?

diego martínez diegomp1982 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 13:49:33 PDT 2009

"Does this help?

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/Collision"

This node simply detects the collision between the avatar and any object in
the VE.

Regarding this other solution you told me:

"However it sounds like you can do this by simply watching the PlaneSensor
output in a Script. When the desired location is reached do your add/remove
ROUTES. No SAI needed."

This solution could do the job. I could connect both the output of the
'plug' PlaneSensor and the output of the 'bulb' PlaneSensor to the same
script. If the distance between both positions is smaller than a given
radius -a 'sphere' collision detection-, the collision could be detected and
the behaviour executed.

The only problem is that I wanted to have several bulbs and other gadgets,
so they are going to be quite a lot of scripts. And the number  will explode
if I want to add more than one 'plug'. Also, I would have liked to be able
to PROTOtype the bulbs and their associated scripts, but it seems it is
going to be hard to do...

There is not an easier way? No generic way to detect a collision? No way to
send an event to a position in the space so that it stimulates any object in
that position? Maybe there are things I have not seen in the X3D
specification...

Cheers!