[X3D-Public] Beyond Viewpoint: X3D Camera Nodes for DigitalCinematography

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 9 14:29:03 PDT 2009

> > This paper describes four candidate X3D extension nodes: Camera,
> > Shot, Movement and OfflineRendering.

Real Nice, Don and Jeffery,
tho, esp. in the beginning text, I don't think you guys gave enough
credit to the basics that were there to build from:)
One line missing in there is :
All the basic features to allow this cinematic camera automation/frame
capture approach are already in the standard.
You guys are elevating some fundamental tools to abstract a specifc
coreographic task of the guided storytelling, along with some
time-tested best practice vocabulary, techniques, and authoring
smarts.
In "3. CURRENT X3D FUNCTIONALITY
...User navigation around these scenes is either driven by user input
or driven by placing the viewpoint under a Transform node that is then
animated. ...".
The author can do a "drive by" that way, and  later you clarify to
directly use viewpoint position and orientation as the 'best' driving
choice rather than 'under a transform node', and follow through with
that into Camera properties.
I would like to see a nice diagram of the default viewpoint position
and orientation in the X3D coordinate system, and since you mention
'roll, pitch and yaw of the camera' later in the paper, maybe show
that also.
Thanks for the opportunity to look more closely at this.
Good Luck and Best Regards,
Joe