[X3D-Public] Beyond Viewpoint: X3D Camera Nodes forDigitalCinematography

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.navy.mil
Thu Jun 11 00:26:21 PDT 2009

Joe, thanks for your thoughtful comments.

We will be improving the examples to make usage clearer.  Indeed
the creation of reactive guided tours using Camera/Shot/Move nodes
will likely become a valuable option in many of our X3D scenario
scenes.

You're right that the primary basic features exist already,
as evidenced by Prototype implementation using Viewpoint and
NavigationInfo.  We felt it was important to build this approach
to prove that the solution is usable in any browser (rather than
implementing them internal to a browser, which is less portable
in the short term but certainly remains a useful alternative for
eventual standardization).

Keeping the user's view pointed in the right direction has
always been quite tedious and difficult.  These nodes allow
pointing at fixed or animated locations, rather than the author
trying to script SFRotation values in response to user input.

We are proposing the photographic fields of fStop and depth of
field and focus because we found references in graphics
literature showing that these are feasible in real time.

The OfflineRender node is likely easy for browsers to implement,
especially since the major browsers are offering video capture
features already.

We'll post a slideset and revised examples following next week's
Web3D Symposium presentation.  Looking forward to further discussion
there and afterwards.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br           brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  work +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots, XMSF  http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman