[X3D-Public] Can authoring applications for VRML/X3D do something like this?

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.navy.mil
Sun Jun 14 00:19:23 PDT 2009

John Carlson wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2009, at 12:25 AM, Don Brutzman wrote:
>
>  > John Carlson wrote:
>  >> http://wave.google.com/
>  >
>  > X3D-Edit has embedded XMPP chat also.  this can be used for message or
>  > file passing.  Shared file editing is also possible, tho not always
>  > 100% connected (bug reported to Netbeans team).
>
> I'm somewhat familiar with X3D-Edit's collaborative features.  It
> appears like google has created a stored hierarchy that can be
> modified by XMPP messages.  Does X3D-Edit store the XML hierarchy, the
> text hierarchy (lines of text), or some combination.  I am wondering
> if multiple hierarchical views are considered in either system.  I
> understand that one view of a hierarchy is a sub-hierarchy.  I also
> know that you can take 2 hierarchies and create a new root on top of
> both of them.

when the file sharing works, you get all of the tool resources in the
IDE available.  the layout is pretty nice, one person's editing locks
a couple of lines on either side.  another person can simultaneously
edit another part of the file.

we used this to good effect on one or two teleconferences with three
participants in Germany, Australia and California simultaneously
reviewing/editing/viewing a single document.

> I guess I'd like to see what google wave could do with editing X3D
> xml.  It looks like SVG is already possible.  Doing the whole thing in
> a web browser seems amazing.

as X3D quality assurance improves scene contents and as X3D players
become more consistently capable, i think we will see steadily
improving X3D examples.  a lot of the existing capabilities that
come with an XML encoding for X3D haven't been widely demonstrated
or exploited yet.

> It is certainly possible that what we are seeing is the culmination of
> migration of a lot of desktop apps (email and im) to the web.  When
> will netbeans run inside a web browser?

we could probably create a Java Web Start version of X3D-Edit one of
these days.  there are a lot of other XML tools that can likely be
used for editing also.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br           brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  work +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots, XMSF  http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman