[X3D-Public] Geospatial component

Tom Sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 18 18:11:01 PDT 2009

--- On Fri, 19/6/09, Rex Melton <rex.melton at comcast.net> wrote:

> From: Rex Melton <rex.melton at comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [X3D-Public] Geospatial component
> To: x3d-public at web3d.org
>
> An upgrade to the geospatial component has been proposed:
>
> http://www.web3d.org/x3d-earth/docs/SEDRIS-X3D/EnhancedGeospatialComponent_2008_06_23/
>
> But TMK, an implementation does not exist.
>
> Would you comment on what your requirements are, and how
> the current spec is insufficient?
* a LODing system based on this paper "NPSNET: Hierarchical Data Structures for Real-Time Three-Dimensional Visual Simulation"

* more units types to meters eg: lightyear, AU (Astronomical unit), parsec, etc

* a Spherical based SRF (spatial reference frame)

> The X3DEarth Working Group is
> evaluating
> functionality to enhance full globe performance issues.
> Multi world, and
> beyond, is of interest too.
i wish I was a member of web3d, but none of the membership type fit, I am not a professional or student