[X3D-Public] Web3D.org Front Page

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Tue Jun 23 02:56:46 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 04:56 -0400, GLG wrote:

> Under Firefox 3.0.8 the plugins are found in Tools ->
> Options -> Applications. And yes BS Contact is installed.

The UI there is a bit abridged; the special URI "about:plugins" should
make it crystal clear whether an installed plug-in supports
"application/x-cc3d".

> The server MIME type is also correct and we're using the
> .wrl extension.

What do you mean by "correct"? Sending "application/x-cc3d" is "correct"
if you want to trigger a plug-in that is installed/enabled for that
type.

> I'd like to remind you that the combination of <object> and
> <embed> tag works well for us (whether nested or not).  I
> became involved in this thread because it lead to believe
> that <object> alone was sufficient. I related my own
> experience and the fact that <embed> is a necessary tag in
> this particular case, where only the BS Contact browser
> should be loading in any circumstances (regardless of
> browser whether IE or Firefox, and regardless of other Web3D
> plugins installed).

Actually, what you said was:

        Joe, you may find the feedback useful that Firefox 3.0.8
        will not load Contact *or any plugin* for us without <embed>
        if we want to specify a plugin with 'classid'.

(Emphasis added.)

In my own testing, object's fall-back to another nested object works in
Firefox.

Your claim that "embed" is "necessary" in the case you describe has not
been accompanied by complete examples of the "object" cases that aren't
working for you.  That makes it difficult to determine what you might be
doing wrong, or to replicate your results.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>