[X3D-Public] Web3D.org Front Page

GLG info at 3dnetproductions.com
Tue Jun 23 04:21:58 PDT 2009

>The UI there is a bit abridged; the special URI
>"about:plugins" should
>make it crystal clear whether an installed plug-in supports
>"application/x-cc3d".

There are no such thing as a x-cc3d type shown with that URI
in my installation (thanks for the tip BTW).

>> The server MIME type is also correct and we're using the
>> .wrl extension.
>
>What do you mean by "correct"? Sending "application/x-cc3d"
>is "correct"
>if you want to trigger a plug-in that is installed/enabled
>for that type.

That type is only one of many I have tested with <object>
trying to get it to work, not really thinking it would do
any good.  I used application/x-cc3d in <embed> but
model/x3d+xml works just as well. So granted (to Joe) that
may not be the reason why Contact gets loaded with <embed>.

>Actually, what you said was:
>
>        Joe, you may find the feedback useful that Firefox
>3.0.8
>        will not load Contact *or any plugin* for us
>without <embed>
>        if we want to specify a plugin with 'classid'.
>
>(Emphasis added.)

I meant that no other *Web3D* plugin gets invoked. My
machine has a bunch of other ones installed and they all
remain silent.

>In my own testing, object's fall-back to another nested
>object works in
>Firefox.

Do you have a page with this setup currently running? What
version of Firefox are you using yourself? What about you
Joe? Perhaps mine is obsolete although only a few months
old. If that is the case, then I'd still take it slow to use
<object> in Firefox because we cannot expect every casual
user to be constantly up to date with their browser. I
realize <embed> is 'deprecated', but the support is probably
there with more installed browsers as it stands.

>Your claim that "embed" is "necessary" in the case you
>describe has not
>been accompanied by complete examples of the "object" cases
>that aren't
>working for you.  That makes it difficult to determine what
>you might be
>doing wrong, or to replicate your results.
>
>--
>Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>

As above, I think <object> support in Firefox is relatively
recent. I'll install 3.0.11 this week and see if that
confirms your results.

Lauren