[X3D-Public] Web3D.org Front Page

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 23 10:23:04 PDT 2009

>        <object data="your.wrl" ... >
>          <param name="src" value="your.wrl" >
>        </object>

The duplication of data="your.wrl"
and
name="your.wrl"
is just due to the fact that BS didn't recognize the src param. Flux
did, so we used both to cover all.
I haven't checked now whether BS or Octaga, and Instant will recognize
the src param.

Anyway in the big view, it is better for a plugin to use the <param>
and drop using @data, if possible. One reasin is that the host browser
may treat the content differently if requested in data attr rather
than the src param.
In particular, the browser may try to 'sniff' content type or other
aspects of the file, as well as download the complete file before
sending it to the plugin when data is used. On the other hand, if src
param is used, then the url is sent to the plug when it is ready and
then the plugin asks for the content when it is ready. In the <param>
case, the host browser is probably less involved in the loading
process.

In all cases you should include the correct MIME you expect in the
@type attribute and then make sure your server is sending the correct
ContentType header.
(Where correct is a MIME string that the X3D/VRML plugin has
registered with the host W3C browser.) .

Thanks and Best Regards,
Joe