[X3D-Public] authoring environments and browsers: why both?

chris dragonmagi at gmail.com
Tue May 12 20:26:35 PDT 2009

Game engines/editors are a good example of combined high performance 3D
playback/simulation and editing environment. Unity comes to mind as a recent
example. I think it is a great thing for developers and there is nothing to
preclude an X3D Browser author from providing such. Even so, there is always
a case for a player only version: smaller, lighter, less download for the
majority of users.

2009/5/13 John Carlson <john.carlson3 at sbcglobal.net>

> Why are there both authoring environments and browers/players?  Shouldn't a
> browser be able to support/deliver an authoring application?
> I realize the same dichotomy has existed with HTML as well--but there are
> HTML browsers which support editing, right?  Is there something missing from
> VRML/X3D which only authoring environments provide?  Would providing these
> within the context of VRML/X3D make a better standard?
>
> I can use vim to write vim, emacs to write emacs, eclipse to write eclipse,
> netbeans to write netbeans.  Would the combination of netbeans, Xj3D and
> X3D-Edit be considered the solution of choice?   What is the best way to
> author 3D authoring environments?  Is it just that we aren't there yet?
>
> Relieve my ignorance, please.  I'm sure there's some history I have
> forgotten.

http://www.vrshed.com
There be greater truth at the centre.
http://www.floatingorigin.com