[X3D-Public] Challenge for X3D + HTML5

John A. Stewart alex.stewart at crc.ca
Thu May 21 05:56:40 PDT 2009

John;

As usual, you have an interesting and fun angle on things.

>   Is there any terminal emulator implemented in X3D or VRML?  Or
> should that be my next project?  I guess there have been graphical
> attempts at shells.  I am not referring to a shell, I am referring
> to something that will run a shell or emacs or vi, or other old
> school programs (the original rogue, nethack etc).

Speaking with my FreeWRL-only hat on, I think that this would be
trivial with FreeWRL's EAI, especially when I get around to finishing
documenting our C interface; how it would work with the SAI, I will
not comment on.

The reason that I say that the EAI as implemented by FreeWRL is that
in this environment, the X3D viewer acts as a visual aid to a behind
the scenes program; so one can have quite powerful algorithms (multi
threaded, networked, etc) running, while letting X3D do what it does
best. (we have EAI interfaces to Java, C, and one of our colleagues
has implemented a Tcl interface to FreeWRL)

I will leave others more informed with all that the SAI can do to to
respond -  although FreeWRL has the Java SAI classes, my knowledge of
the scope of SAI applications is limited.

John A. Stewart
Team Leader: Networked Virtual Reality
alex.stewart at crc.ca

Network Systems and Technologies -
         Systemes et technologies des reseaux
Communications Research Centre Canada  |
          Centre de recherches sur les communications Canada

3701 Carling Ave.  |  3701, avenue Carling
PO Box 11490, Station H  |  CP 11490, succursale H
          Ottawa ON K2H 8S2   |  Ottawa (Ontario) K2H 8S2

http://www.crc.ca