[X3D-Public] Accelerometer environment sensor

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Nov 18 03:36:32 PST 2009

Dave wrote:
> Be careful about culling the spec to fit the hardware. By the time
> you're done, the hardware will be
> at least twice as good as it currently is.

yup.   i think we've done OK on that score.  i haven't seen any proposed
spec changes that were motivated by hardware improvements (or anachronisms).

> Please add Accelerometer environment sensor, if such sensor make the cut.

interesting, great idea Dave!  got proposal?  for starters we just need
a node signature to define fields and some simple explanatory prose on
how it works.  an little chunk of example scene would also be helpful.

FYI there was a way cool demo at the W3C Tech Plenary TPAC meeting
by the head of the Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) group + "CSS Strike Force."
He moved his laptop around to drive a car game as a web application.
Apparently they were able to reach all the way down from the web browser
to the hardware, where there was no special configuration but rather
simply reading an accelerometer that already comes with the hard disk
(to prevent crashes when moving around).  so we should expect that the
accelerometer information will be widely available on almost every
platform, not just mobile devices.

http://ajaxian.com/archives/firefox-trunk-accelerometers-webgl-and-css-transitions
http://people.mozilla.com/~prouget/demos/resources/videos/mozOrientation.ogv

http://www.w3.org/2009/11/04-tpac-minutes.html#glazou

> Daniel Glazman (Disruptive Innovations): The End of the Beginning
>
> <arun> Note that glazou is tilting his screen
>
> Daniel Glazman: demos of rotating cube, tilt detector ["level"] application (in 15 lines of code) and a game done is SVG that is in Canvas. Very simple
> ... "font dragr" to test new fonts
>
> Henry Thompson: The box you were holding has an accelerometer, right?
>
> Daniel Glazman:Yes. All laptops have accelerometers in their hard disk drives to handle shocks.
>
> Judy Brewer: How was the accessibility?
>
> Daniel Glazman: I don't know.
>
> <IanJ> [Reminder: feedback form, thanks!: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/tpac2009-feedback/]
>
> Judy Brewer: It looks neat. It would be great if the accessibility support right from the beginning. Can we be sure we can get you hooked up with the right people to help with that.
>
> Chaals: the accessibility are in the hardware APIs, the hardware knows when it is working. We have to work on how we make that an acessible application (by making things like canvas accessible)
>
> <IanJ> [Applause]

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br           brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  work +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots, XMSF  http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman