[X3D-Public] request agenda time to present X3D summary at HTML5 TPAC meeting

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Oct 20 08:59:19 PDT 2009

Dear HTML5 colleagues:

Members of the Web3D Consortium have been working on integration of
Extensible 3D (X3D) Graphics standard with HTML5.  We have been
following HTML5 development for some time.  This effort is conducted
publicly and documented online at

	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/X3D_and_HTML5

We have prepared a summary list of goals and issues at

	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/X3D_and_HTML5_Summary

We hope to present these points at the upcoming face-to-face meeting at
TPAC.  The slideset summary and a demo can be completed in 10 minutes.
We are also happy to handle questions.  Our question for this group is:
what is HTML5 relationship to 3D graphics?

Until recently X3D was explicitly called out in the HTML5
editors draft recommendation, namely:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-html5-20090825/no.html#declarative-3d-scenes

        13 Things that you can't do with this specification because
        they are better handled using other technologies that are
        further described herein

        13.2 Declarative 3D scenes
        Embedding 3D imagery into XHTML documents is the domain of X3D,
        or technologies based on X3D that are namespace-aware.

Since this paragraph is no longer in the HTML5 editors draft, we are
wondering what the groups' intention is regarding X3D and other 3D
graphics content in HTML5.

Three of our team will be there at TPAC:  John Stewart, Joe Williams and myself.
The fourth member Johannes Behr has produced a demonstration for the meeting:
Javascript running inside Firefox and Webkit browser nightly builds, on top
of the WebGL layer, presenting X3D content inside HTML5 content via the DOM.
We think that this is a good summary of how 3D technologies can work together
with HTML5.

Please advise if we can get on the HTML5 agenda.  Thanks for considering the
possibilities.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br           brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  work +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots, XMSF  http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman