[X3D-Public] X3D on iPhone

John A. Stewart alex.stewart at crc.ca
Tue Oct 20 13:46:30 PDT 2009

Charles;

On 20-Oct-09, at 4:01 PM, Charles Lamb wrote:

> What is the status of implementing an X3D browser on the iPhone?
> Did Fraunhofer ever release their app?  Is Planet 9 using their own
> browser?

We now have an IPhone in-house, and are getting one of the new 3G iPod
Touches.

The FreeWRL/FreeX3D needs a bit of re-coding to support OpenGL-ES
(and, OpenGL-3.1).  This has been on-going as a "second priority" task
for a while now. I expect that after our Windows port is out and
running well, and the HTML5 work is well in hand, then work will start
in earnest on porting FreeWRL/FreeX3D to such devices.

It has been interesting reading through the development docs; and our
resident "human interface"  expert (Dr. Sylvie Noel) has been integral
in pushing for the iPhone/iPod Touch in-house.

I will not give an estimated timeframe; lets just see what happens by
the new year.

John A. Stewart
Team Leader: Networked Virtual Reality
alex.stewart at crc.ca

Network Systems and Technologies -
         Systemes et technologies des reseaux
Communications Research Centre Canada  |
          Centre de recherches sur les communications Canada

3701 Carling Ave.  |  3701, avenue Carling
PO Box 11490, Station H  |  CP 11490, succursale H
          Ottawa ON K2H 8S2   |  Ottawa (Ontario) K2H 8S2

http://www.crc.ca