[X3D-Public] web3d Architect walkthrough

Tom Sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 30 01:15:57 PDT 2009

I have been asked by an artist that is also a Architect about converting her 2D floor plans into 3D for virtual walkthrough
My question is I/her may decide to put them on her website what are our options?

I am looking at using a photo gallery (gallery2) with a custom written plugin by me
I am going to have a folder with the textures and the 3D clip-art (importable and/or prototype models)

I know about these options:
Cult3D - limited to windows and mac pre-OS X, small number of exporters, vendor-locked format, two step export (3d modeler to cult3d editor to web file)
O3D - still in beta, no precomplied Linux version
X3D - no small sized downloadable java applet viewers
VRML97 - old, but has lots of exporters and viewers
Shout3D 2.5 - VRML97/S3D (custom VRML97) Java viewer, small applet download size, no LOD support, registration cost is yearly per domain

tom_a_sparks