[X3D-Public] Vivaty use Flash for Vivaty Scenes Lite

Damon H web3dstudent at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 01:51:06 PDT 2009

Ben,
 I would only guess that the main reason for a Flash version is to lower the
barriers to entry for those that don't like downloading plug-ins. The
"download a plug-in" is a big killer for most virtual world companies.
Vivaty is going for tween and teen girls, dont know how many are mac users
in that demographic. Again I see it first as more a way to get people past
that barrier of getting a plug-in, second for the bonus of that small
audience of mac users and run the app cross platform. I give them mad props
for enticing people with a lite version. Hopefully the experience with their
platform will get users hooked for the X3D player download. We need more of
those out there.

IMHO

Damon

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Ben Francis <mail at tola.me.uk> wrote:

> I was very disappointed to read [1] that Vivaty has felt it necessary to
> shoe-horn a stripped-down version of their Vivaty Scenes service into Flash
> in order to achieve cross-platform support. I've made a blog post [2] and
> comment on their blog asking what could have been achieved if the
> engineering effort required to achieve this hack had instead been diverted
> to supporting Unix/Linux based implementations of X3D.
>
> Regards
>
> Ben
>
> 1. http://blog.vivaty.com/2009/09/22/vivaty-lite-in-flash
> 2. http://www.tola.me.uk/blog/2009/09/22/vivaty_lite
>
> --
> Ben Francis
> http://tola.me.uk

3D Web & Metaverse builder
"We are all students of the emerging 3D web"