[X3D-Public] Vivaty use Flash for Vivaty Scenes Lite

chris dragonmagi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 02:25:55 PDT 2009

Catering for a much wider customer base is a smart move because the majority
of ppl out there will shy away from even seemingly simple installation
barriers. In my 2008 virtual worlds meeting some vendors reported around 80%
prospective customers dropped out at the installation stage. Isolating your
application to a true 3D only viewer is still not likely to be too
successful at this time. We are still a little way off the point where most
people have 3D simulation as a day-to-day desktop tool.
I wonder if it is possible to play a small X3D model url of my own using
this lite version. Anyone know? I went to the URL from the link below and it
worked fin on my Mac but could not see a way to load an X3D scene.

chris

2009/9/22 Ben Francis <mail at tola.me.uk>

> I was very disappointed to read [1] that Vivaty has felt it necessary to
> shoe-horn a stripped-down version of their Vivaty Scenes service into Flash
> in order to achieve cross-platform support. I've made a blog post [2] and
> comment on their blog asking what could have been achieved if the
> engineering effort required to achieve this hack had instead been diverted
> to supporting Unix/Linux based implementations of X3D.
>
> Regards
>
> Ben
>
> 1. http://blog.vivaty.com/2009/09/22/vivaty-lite-in-flash
> 2. http://www.tola.me.uk/blog/2009/09/22/vivaty_lite