[X3D-Public] Announcement: view3dscene 3.4

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 13:43:44 PDT 2009

(This is the same email you send a month ago? Maybe my reply got lost
somewhere, so repeating it here --- with some updates on being
consortium member.)

Don Brutzman wrote:
> Hi Michalis, also congrats on your progress.
>
> Your contributions and insights would be welcome as part of the
> X3D working group.  Wondering, are you a member of Web3D Consortium
> yet? (cc: Anita)

Not yet. Reading the docs on http://www.web3d.org/membership/join/, it's
a little scary (for a single developer like me, without any
"corporation" behind). I know the fees aren't large for my case, and
other consortiums like Khronos or W3C have the same membership rules.
It's just not something I'm comfortable with, for an open standard.

For now I just prefer to submit any comments through this public mailing
list.

> Have added a link to your work on X3D Resources page.
>
> I tried to add your application to X3D-Edit to the list of external
> applications (which worked) and then hand off a scene to it (which
> didn't work, under windows at least).  Does view3dscene accept
> path/filename .x3d as an execution input?
>
> all the best, Don

You mean, passing the filename to open on the command-line? It should
definitely work, under all platforms including windows. If it doesn't,
please check exactly what you pass on the command-line, if any error
appears --- please write what.

If you want to pass the scene through stdin, you should specify on the
command-line "-" (single dash). In this case input must be in classic
encoding for now (this can be easily improved for future release, if
needed).

Michalis