[X3D-Public] recording behavioral actions in a 3D world in X3D

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Apr 21 06:02:13 PDT 2010

On 4/8/2010 10:42 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> What's the best Mac software for recording/playback (not video) of an
> X3D session? Say I want to record camera position, events, and sounds,
> but not all the geometry. I see several posts, ending about 9 years ago.
> Has there been much progress? Yes, I know ajax3d.org is down.

X3D-Edit includes a recorder for network streaming of behaviors using
the DIS protocol.

	Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS) utility panels for packet
	generation as well as  recording and playing back  network traffic,
	built using the Open-DIS software distribution

	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit
	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/images/DisEspduTestPanelDemo.png
	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/images/DisPlayerRecorderPanel.png
	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/Open-DIS-flyer.pdf
	https://sourceforge.net/projects/open-dis/

We've also created a prototype that records position and orientation of
user viewpoint, then outputs PositionInterpolator and OrientationInterpolator
code to replay on demand.  Also available in X3D-Edit as a drag+drop icon
during scene authoring, found under the Savage X3D Examples Archive
palette section.

	https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/Tools/Authoring
		AnimatedViewpointRecorderSample.x3d    (shows sample output)
		AnimatedViewpointRecorderExample.x3d   (shows example recording)
		AnimatedViewpointRecorderPrototype.x3d (underlying recorder)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br           brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  work +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots, XMSF  http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman