[X3D-Public] multiuser mode (newbie question)

Christoph Valentin christoph.valentin at gmx.at
Fri Apr 30 13:23:05 PDT 2010

Dear all

I did some private (hobby) studies regarding multiuser mode and rather
complex scenes (combining content from different authors) and would like to
ask, if you could second my experiences,

or if somebody disagrees (the whole project is documented at
http://simulrr.wordpress.com).

See below

I am aware of Network Sensor and DIS, is there something else in the
standard, that can be used for multiuser mode (besides SAI/EAI)?

Thanks in advance
Christoph

                BS Contact

Supported from the beginning of the project. Multi-user-mode with
<EventStreamSensor> and BS Collaborate definitively possible.

Octaga

Supported from spring 2009 onwards. Multi-user-mode with <NetworkSensor>
theoretically possible, but no free test version of collaboration server
available -> multi-user-mode cannot be supported currently.

Instant Reality

First trials positive. Yet unknown, whether Network Sensor node is
supported or not. According to X3D-public mailing list an open source
multi-user-framework exists (to be analysed).

Free WRL

First trials show, that <ExternProtoDeclare> is not supported &rarr;
postponed.

Xj3D

First trials show, that Xj3D has problems with nested prototypes &rarr;
postponed.

Vivaty

Not available AFAIK

SwirlX3D

First trials not un-positive, but show up problems with viewpoints in
prototypes, proximity sensors in prototypes etc. &rarr; postponed

--
GMX.at - Österreichs FreeMail-Dienst mit über 2 Mio Mitgliedern
E-Mail, SMS & mehr! Kostenlos: http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atfreemail