[X3D-Public] [X3D] containerField is should or must ?

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 5 14:15:44 PDT 2010

> point of information:  it is generally not possible to be strict
> about allowed containerField values in the X3D DTD or X3D Schema.
> if i recall correctly, that is because it was difficult to do this
> properly with inheritance.

That is fine, Don. dtd would not do it.
I would just like to look at this as if the allowed containerField
value is already given explicitly in the structure and organization of
the schema. That is, much in the same way an advanced xml schema
processor is probably capable of producing something similar to

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/specifications/ISO-IEC-19775-1.2-X3D-AbstractSpecification/Part01/concepts.html#f-Objecthierarchy

the object hierarchy diagram from the schema input, an advanced xml
schema processor could read the schema (finding allowed containers
without containerField) to find the allowed container node(s) by
examination without need for the containerField and enumerated allowed
value(s). I think (hopefully rather than from perfect current
knowledge) the xml schema structure has enough info about this item
(sort of like reverse inheritance?) is available without the need for
containerField.

But, since xml processors were not smart enough then and maybe not
even now about this type of inference for validation, and due to proto
first node needs, we got ahead using containerField. Still, not as bad
as if we would have been stuck with something like:

<geometry>
  <Box />
</geometry>

or whatever the old nickname of that container node structure
suggestion was.

Thanks Again and Best Regards,
Joe