[X3D-Public] containerField is should or must ? large attributes; compression

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 9 15:37:23 PDT 2010

> mix poorly with conventional XML parser design

I think we found problems with old html parser design that defaulted
different treatments between attributes and element content.
Specifically,m the attribute value was saved diertly to memory while
the element content was passed on into a file. There is no XML
requirement for max length of either attribute value or element
content length that I have seen. At that time, element content could
not be an arbitrary type. Given that attributes are meant to be final
data,there is no problem with the way we did it originally. The
totally correct signature as far as I am concerned is that either way
fo doing it should be to allow either:

... point="list of data points"

or

<point>list of data points ...</point>

so if we use a wrapper tag to send the data as element content, we
should use the same element name as is now specced for the attribute
value. I still think the schema might be rigged to allow either.

Joe