[X3D-Public] containerField is should or must ? large attributes; compression

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 10 08:31:37 PDT 2010

> So *why not* deprecate containerField if fieldValue wrappers are
> available?

because now you can do it either way you wish. Anyway the fieldValue
is just another crutch. If you want this construction then allow a
node having the same ame as the current attibute cvalue. Using
fieldValue with the name of the content and maybe its type as
attribute values just makes it more complex for authors.

> With fieldValue wrappers, the parser knows what to expect

Not really. It has to use info in the wrapper defined by the author to
figure it out.. That is less direct than naming the field correctly
and directly. And really, for xml all the info the parser needs to
know is (shold be) in the schema, not embedded by the author in the
user code.

Joe