[X3D-Public] International Digital Publishing Forum (formerly Open eBook Forum)

John Carlson john.carlson3 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 12 18:33:00 PDT 2010

On Aug 12, 2010, at 5:54 PM, Don Brutzman wrote:

> Wondering if anyone has worked with these folks before.  Might be
> interesting for our e-learning interest group.
>
>    International Digital Publicshing Forum
>    http://idpf.org

It's interesting that they changed their name from OeBF (open electronic  book format?) to IDPF, which looks a lot like iPDF (can you say Preview?).

I think one should choose an appropriate *archival* format and stick to that.  I recall that some versions of PDF were headed that way, but I haven't heard anything since then.  That was around 6-7 years ago.  It looks like some PDF versions have reached ISO versions.  How are AIIM and IDPF related?

Does anyone care about archiving 3D?  What is the preferred 3D archival format?  What's the best way to archive behavioral aspects of 3D?  Do we need to archive behavior aspects?  Is video sufficient (with 3D reconstruction, which is doable these days).

Obviously a design for the web may not be sufficient for archiving.  What format is sufficient for archiving?  Who here is archiving 3D?