[X3D-Public] For mutiple ROUTE fan-ins, how can we identify the sending node?

Dave dave at realmofconcepts.com
Sat Aug 21 12:29:50 PDT 2010

I've done several systems like this, using different browsers. I've
found Contact the 'friendliest' so far, but I've had to do the same as you.
It's frustrating. Apparently, adding a node to a scene does not add its
DEF name to the namespace by design (the Spec). I can't imagine
why. If name collision were to occur, an error would be returned, you'd
think. Anyway Contact will at least bend if you addNode (top-level),
but not if you add as a child (which I'm sure you're doing).

I hope x3dom does not have this restriction, and I'd like to see all
actively-developed browsers adopt a more liberal policy.

I too hope someone can offer a better solution, even if it means using a
different player.

Dave A.