[X3D-Public] [X3D] X3D HTML5 meeting discussions: Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Dec 7 08:59:54 PST 2010

Attendees:  Len Daly, Anita Havele, Nick Polys, Don Brutzman.

On 11/30/2010 4:59 AM, Don Brutzman wrote:
> Here are minutes from our discussion last Tuesday 23 NOV.
> [...]
> Any incubator goals will have to reach clarity about the needed
> requirements for declarative 3D representations on the web.
> We agreed that there is a need to be very clear statement
> and development goals.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/procedures

We reviewed the requirements for a charter.  Likely Anita, Dick
and I will work on one next week while in Korea at SIGGRAPH ASIA.
Perhaps Philipp has a draft we can compare or add to?  All inputs
are welcome.

- Web3D Consortium has exchanged mutual memberships with W3C and has
	also participated in several W3C Working Groups
- Web3D is allowed to have a small number of direct participants
	who have have dual responsibilities to each consortium
- Direct membership in both consortia is also encouraged

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Member/Testimonial/List#t393
	The Web3D Consortium, like W3C, supports open standardization.
	Web3D's open standards for real-time 3D communication include
	X3D, a powerful and extensible XML-based ISO standard for 3D
	visual effects, behavioral modeling, interaction and
	interoperability. Web3D membership includes companies,
	institutions, working groups and individuals.

Regarding possible charter:
- Note that W3C Incubator Group (XG) deliverable is typically
	an XG Report on topics of interest
- The XG Report is typically described in a charter but also has
	flexibility to let group explore various issues
- There are about 2 dozen such finished reports available at
	http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/XGR/
- Duration is typically 12 months or less, possibly with renewals
- Most aligned with Web3D Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) policy
	is Patent Policy option 3:
	"Option 3: Participants must agree to abide by the
	 W3C Patent Policy for any work transitioned to the
	 Recommendation Track"

Web3D has about a decade of participation in W3C.  X3D is quite
closely aligned with the Architecture of the Web.  There have been
a number of collaboration areas, and a number of areas for future
work together.  Helping to establish a Declarative 3D Graphics
Interest Group could help us best tell how our technologies can
unlock a wide variety of 3D capabilities.  It can also help us show
how X3D compatibly maps to a wide variety of 3D and Web technologies.

Given our open efforts to date integrating X3D with HTML5 and DOM,
it would appear that an open Incubator effort would be most useful.

Other points:
- Membership and participation is a serious effort for individuals
- Looking at other charters and reports is helpful and interesting
- Each of the interest groups are often quite different
- Declarative 3D would likely have some impact on a number of W3C
	standardization efforts including Web Graphics, Scalable
	Vector Graphics (SVG), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI),
	HTML5, DOM, Point of Interest (POI) etc.

Suggested charter goals:
- Defining and documenting proposed requirements for Declarative 3D
- Comparative survey of existing standards and technologies with
	respect to capabilities and proposed requirements
- Relative compatibility to the Architecture of the Web
- Suggest further activity for work on W3C Recommendations

Our next meeting is planned for same time, 2 weeks from today,
Tuesday December 21, 8-9 pacific, 11-12 eastern 17-1800 Germany.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br      brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots     http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman