[X3D-Public] Virtuality Uber Alles

Chris Thorne dragonmagi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 19:16:59 PST 2010

On 11 December 2010 09:33, Russ Kinter <pyth7 at verizon.net> wrote:

> [...]
yeah pretty much agree with Russ.
There is really no apples for apples comparison here because, in addition to
the slow/hamstrung progress with network protocol standard support there has
been nothing in the standard development for the server side and no
consortium lead open server sdk. For the technologies to be comparable (with
SL etc) these two things would have to be just as mature as the rest.

That said, having a sever standard and sdk would not be that critical if the
protocol part was done well because many things like deep matrix etc could
fill that void. It does make me cringe, though, to recall that Pesce,
Kennard and Parisi had the foresight in 1994 to attempt to get a cyberspace
protocol accepted by the w3c and the budding virtuality industry.

chris

Dragon's Intro <http://vrshed.com/people/dragonIntro.html>
http://www.vrshed.com
http://www.floatingorigin.com