[X3D-Public] Blender Export to X3D

JOHN COADY johncoady at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 12 13:27:35 PST 2010

Hi

   Thanks for the link on how you used blender, it would be nice if you didn't need to edit the X3D file generated by blender to get a correct result. One of the things I tried was to first export to a collada file from Blender, and then Import the collada into X3D-Edit and then have X3D-Edit convert it to X3D. Then compare that result with what Blender produced with its Export to X3D method. In a couple of test blender scenes that I tried the results were different. I used blender scenes from the new book "Blender Foundations" which uses the new blender user interface found in Blender version 2.5 . The blender scenes in this book don't work with the older versions of blender.

However, some of these blender scenes can be quite large, a few meg in size when converted to collada, and X3D-Edit complains that they are too big. Also, X3D-Edit was not able to convert this Collada file to X3D which was taken from chapter 9 in the book and Exported from Blender.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5095342/Models/demo_scene_chapter_09.dae

Do you know why X3D-Edit can't convert this scene to X3D. This 2 step conversion process, first to Collada and then to X3D is one way to test, correct and compare the results from what the Export to X3D function provides in blender.