[X3D-Public] range of the field types

Bederov, Sergey bederov at cortona3d.com
Wed Dec 22 01:18:19 PST 2010

Hello Sajjad,

Are you creating a GUI to set SFFloat and SFDouble values on multiple platforms? The specification says that the actual ranges of values may depend on the implementation, but the ranges specified in the specification should work in all implementations. So, if you want the files edited in your GUI to work in all X3D browsers, you should use the ranges specified in the specification. If I understand the specification correctly, the ranges are:

SFFloat: 1.00000∙10-12 to 9.99999∙1012

SFDouble: 1.0000000000000∙10-12 to 9.9999999999999∙1012

The numbers can be positive and negative, and the value 0.0 must also be available.

Am I right in the interpretation of "digits of precision" and "exponent"? Maybe someone more familiar with the specification can correct me.

                          Sergey Bederov