[X3D-Public] Fwd: Re: [X3D] X3D HTML5 meeting discussions: Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

John A. Stewart alex.stewart at crc.ca
Wed Dec 29 05:28:46 PST 2010

Hi Phillip;

On 2010-12-28, at 12:05 AM, Philipp Slusallek wrote:

> Dear Chris, all,

Thank you for your long, and informative, and well presented email.

From my perspective, all that I would add is:

1) 2010 -2020 will be the decade of the "app" - and note that the "app" does not run inside of an HTML browser;

2) *somehow* keep the ability to *somehow* render older scenes so that users have continuity with their content over years and years.

We all know these points, partcularly #2; we have all been burned numerous times by having document formats become obsolete. Backwards compatibility, while *not* fun for us, the lack of backwards compatibility will be *not fun* for users. How that compatibility gets handled might be an interesting topic in itself.

Thanks;

John A. Stewart
alex.stewart at crc.ca

Network Systems and Technologies -
        Systemes et technologies des reseaux
Communications Research Centre Canada  |
         Centre de recherches sur les communications Canada

3701 Carling Ave.  |  3701, avenue Carling
PO Box 11490, Station H  |  CP 11490, succursale H
         Ottawa ON K2H 8S2   |  Ottawa (Ontario) K2H 8S2

http://www.crc.ca