[X3D-Public] Fwd: Re: [X3D] X3D HTML5 meeting discussions:Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

Philipp Slusallek slusallek at cs.uni-saarland.de
Wed Dec 29 21:54:26 PST 2010

Hi,

I fully agree that backward compatibility is important in general -- but
I would not want to put backwards compatibility as our main objective.
This is not a Web3D working group.

Instead we should strive for the best possible 3D within the Web/HTML
world going forward, but see that we can maintain as much compatibility
as possible where it is necessary. This is where I am happy that we have
Johannes on board, who has created X3DOM primarily with that aspect in
mind. We already had quite some discussions on this topic.

However, we should also look at things in perspective and be pragmatic:
X3D's adoption compared to the Web as a whole is rather small (BTW, is
there any reliable statistics available, like # of X3D files on the Web,
size of the user community, use of feature set, or such?).

BTW, backwards compatibility can come in many ways: from the ability to
simply load X3D files (which ones? there are so many profiles and
encodings) to a converter. Actually, Kristian's X3D to XML3D converter
is already doing a pretty good job, while being only a side project so far.

	Philipp