[X3D-Public] Fwd: Re: [X3D] X3D HTML5 meeting discussions:Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

GLG info at 3dnetproductions.com
Thu Dec 30 00:13:42 PST 2010

I would not expect much backward compatibility in a web
browser by any stretch of the imagination. At least not for
the worlds I am involved with, which are extremely complex
and script intensive. Not withstanding the commendable
efforts of those involved, the day when full 3D worlds are
displayed directly in a browser is way ahead of us. Well
over a decade of development went into current X3D viewers,
and that will probably take just as long to get the same
functionality into web browsers, if it ever gets to the
level X3D viewers are today. I would actually see more
chances of that happening in the short to mid term if say,
an existing X3D viewer code were to be integrated into a web
browser. But, I digress, then again maybe not - who knows
what the future holds.

What I would be looking for however, in terms of
'compatibility', is the ability for the two general methods
(browser vs viewer rendering) to coexist. This so that basic
X3D scenes are displayed in web browsers via one of the
proposed schemes. Then, when more capabilities are required,
X3D viewers take over in a seamless fashion to render the
more involved worlds. As in a step up from the simpler, more
accessible 3D into advanced functionality as required. The
X3D profile scheme is well suited for that. I believe this
type of scenario would be good for Web3D and the web, making
the core X3D profile easily accessible as an interim, until
the users install a full fledge viewer, or browser
improvements allow for extended profiles. I hope this is
exactly what is being worked on. If so then, bravo, you are
going in the right direction. What I am against is starting
from scratch with a new 3D format, overlooking the work that
has already been done during all these years, thinking that
extensive interactive 3D can be made simple. Rocket science
for everyone? I don't think so. If I wanted simple I'd go to
SL. I need the complex set of tools that X3D provides.
Please don't ask me to do brain surgery with a spoon.

Cheers,
Lauren