[X3D-Public] Open-Source Multi-User

Russ Kinter pyth7 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 1 12:29:32 PST 2010

Hi Don,
Thanks for your interest!
First, I'll be glad to contribute anything of Deep Matrix IP9 that can be
found useful.

However, you wrote:
> we are working on good exemplar scenes
> that demonstrate proper use of external SAI with HTML using Javascript
> or Java.

I can't speak for Javascript here -only Java.

My stand-alone Java application doesn't make use of HTML.
It isn't embedded in a web page in anyway.
It simply communicates to Instant Player using EAI.
Instant Player itself has not been implemented as a HTML browser plug-in yet
beyond the experimental stage -as a matter of fact it doesn't even implement
external SAI for Java yet:
http://www.instantreality.org/tutorial/external-authoring-interface-javanet/

>Surprisingly we've found very few common examples.

In terms of HTML and external SAI I am not sure why it would be a surprise,
because implementations are almost non-existent for Java.

The only X3D players I know of that actually implement external SAI for Java
are Xj3D, FreeWRL and "possibly" Octaga Player.
FreeWRL doesn't have any Java capabilities as a HTML browser plug-in.
What Java capabilities it does have as a stand-alone application are
restricted for lack of robustness.

Xj3D would integrate with an HTML browser but it would have to be in applet
form only.

I really haven't messed with Octaga Player's Java to a great extent.
Octaga's Java see-saws back and forth. Early versions showed great promise,
than it got broken. The latest version's buggy JSAI actually seems to work
with Sun Java BOTH as a stand-alone and as a plug-in in I.E. -almost a minor
miracle to this old MSJVM - Netscape 4 hack. However I have not tried its
external SAI to see if it even works.
With that massive qualification, Octaga Player maybe the best source for an
HTML/external SAI Java example as far as the standard concept of the HTML
plug-in goes.

Thanks again,
Russ Kinter