[X3D-Public] Installing X3D-Edit on 64-bit Windows 7

Richard F. Puk puk at igraphics.com
Mon Feb 15 16:44:41 PST 2010

Hi -

After some difficulty, I have been able to get x3d-edit installed and
running on 64-bit Windows 7. The following are the actions to be taken:

1.      Install the latest Sun 64-bit JDK. Go to
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/widget/jdk6.jsp and select Windows 7
x64 from the dropdown list. Once the download finishes, execute the file
downloaded. This will install the JDK.

2.      Install the latest NetBeans version.  Go to
http://netbeans.org/downloads/ and select the version of NetBeans that you
want. Since I did not know which version(s) are necessary for X3D-Edit, I
selected the "all" option and downloaded all 288MB. Follow the installation
instructions.

3.      Install the latest version of X3D-Edit. Go to
https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/#Downloads. I downloaded the standalone
executable. This will install a folder that you select. Once the
installation is complete, do not execute anything yet.

4.      Go to the folder where you stored the download of X3D-Edit. Open the
following file in a text editor:  runX3dEditWin.bat. Add the following
command line option:

--jdkhome "C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.6.0_18/" (verify that the path points
to your JDK folder)

This should make for a usable environment. The problems that I had were all
centered around finding the correct form for the jdkhome path.

Good luck :^)

n  Dick