[X3D-Public] From web browser to immersive environment

John T. Murphy jtmurphy at email.arizona.edu
Wed Feb 24 12:47:05 PST 2010

Hello,

I have developed a simulation model of an archaeological landscape that
provides an output representation in x3d. Previously this has been intended
for use on the web; I have the Octaga viewer (limited version) installed,
which runs in IE well enough for my own purposes, and there is really no
other user community yet. However, I now have the opportunity to give demos
of the simulation in a more immersive environment: a room with 7 large
screens surrounding the viewers (about 300-degrees). I have seen demos in
this room run using OpenSceneGraph and 3dStudioMax, but I don't know what
kind of issues I may run into if I try to view an x3d world in it- I am sure
it is more complicated than just expanding the browser window across all the
screens. I haven't yet been able to sit down and try any alternatives, but
am looking for hints about how large a challenge it may be to move to this
platform. I found references online to a program called JINX that seems to
do what I need, but although there are descriptions of it, I can't seem to
get the actual software.

Any help appreciated- thanks,
John
(Apologies if this double-posts...)