[X3D-Public] X3D browsers supporting DOM?

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Jan 4 16:10:07 PST 2010

Charles Lamb wrote:
> FreeWRL is wonderfully close.  All that I see is missing is the JavaScript
> DOM integration in the Windows version.  I haven't checked out the other
> platform versions but I assume they have JavaScript DOM integration.

actually i would not assume DOM integration since it is not a requirement
and (way back in the day) was bitterly opposed due to performance reasons.

obviously Javascript performance is much better now.  Joe Williams recently
posted an interesting video about this.  Further we learned at the
November W3C Tech Plenary that at least 4 of the 5 major browsers
(Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera) are perfecting high-performance
javascript engines.

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/video.php?v=crockford-yuiconf2009-state
(interesting quote:  "javascript is world's most popular programming language")

Wondering, based on your question Charles:  should we keep track of
X3D browser support for DOM on our "Player support for X3D components"
conformance wiki?

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/Player_support_for_X3D_components

Test reports for what broswers support DOM are welcome.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br           brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  work +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots, XMSF  http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman